Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Haikus: Moving North


There is far too much to write from the 15 hour drive (yeah, I hauled ass in that truck), to write everything in detail.  Instead, I've expressed it all in haikus. Some are reflective, some...less so. 

Texas
Face is stained in salt
Glasses smudged and soaked
Pull over. 

Focus on being in a truck
Passing another truck
Feel like a badass. 

Deliberately defy orders
Check Facebook and text while driving.
Lonely. 

Pick-up truck with monster wheels and 
Fake steer horns on the top.
Temporarily pleased to leave. 

Oklahoma
Last stop for Braums
In Norman, OK
My ice cream drips fast.

Saw a tumbleweed blown by the wind
Sweeping down the plains.
All I think about is Broadway.

Kansas
“I will not get lost in Witchita.”
I promise myself.
Take a wrong turn.

Silos are farm phalluses.
Like country skyscrapers.
Too much lonely silence.

Missouri
Kansas City in
Kansas City.
Music appropriateness.

Posted sign:
“$10,000 fine for hitting construction worker”
Kansas City road rage.

Longest stretch.
Missouri Missouri
Misery.

Iowa
Visible difference between
Missouri and Iowa.
Farms? Democrats? Perspective.

Osceola, Iowa:
We meet once again.
I am a creature of habit.

Minnesota
Blue state,
Blue heart.
I got the blues.

Still can’t get musicals out of my head.
Looking for Avenue Q in Chicago,
Worrying about RENT.

Moving In, First Day
Narrow corners on a three-floor staircase.
Full size box spring won’t fit.
Demoted to mattress on the floor

No closet.
Amazon delivers.
“Closet.”

Dinner at fancy eatery.
Truffle fries.
Late night snack at bowling alley.

Rock and roll bingo.
Trivia AND bingo, all in one.
New tradition.

No closet, blank walls, no box spring.
Adjusting abruptly to city life.
Feels like home more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment